- Clothing & Accessories
- Music Makers
Books, Music and More
- On Sale
Dedicated to bringing healthy, fresh foods to market that are sustainable and beyond fair trade.
Ayni (pronounced: "I-nee")is a Quechua word that means "today for me tomorrow for you." Our foods exemplify ayni by providing you the freshest, healthiest food, and our farmers a price for their product that is beyond fair trade. All this is accomplished in a way that is sustainable to our earth.
A balanced stimulant, guayusa contains energizing compounds. It offers benefits for an attentive mind, a peaceful body, and an awakened spirit:
• Boosts metabolism
• Supports weight loss programs
• Aids digestion
• Aids elimination and reduce constipation
• Balances blood sugar and supports diabetics
• Boosts physical energy
• Increases mental clarity and alertness
Guayusa offers more caffeine than tea, yet less than coffee. It contains other stimulants in the same family as caffeine, such as theophylline-- a clarifying and uplifting compound also found in green tea; and theobromine, a stimulant found in dark chocolate offering a pleasant feeling. This unique mix of caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine is what gives the balanced energy effect without nervous jitters and resultant crashes. Guayusa has what it takes to get you going, while stabilizing the release of caffeine in your blood; is easy on the stomach and doesn’t cause the stomach discomfort sometimes associated with drinking coffee.
Packed Full of Nutrients
Guayusa contains 50% more antioxidants than green tea, and is full of polyphenols, flavonoids, and saponins. These compounds offer a range of holistic health benefits, from calming the nervous system to cardiovascular health:
• Polyphenols: studies confirmed one cup of guayusa has 30% more polyphenols than a cup of green tea has been shown to boost the immune system, promote a healthy heart, and have an anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effect.
• Saponins: Studies illustrated the beneficial effects on blood cholesterol levels, cancer, bone health and stimulation of the immune system.
• Theanine: an amino acid compound studied for its calming effects on the nervous system, and for its ability to protect and restore the brain. • Fifteen essential amino acids, including relatively high amounts of leucine, for muscle protein synthesis and body builders.
• It also contains the minerals potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc and chromium and vitamins D & C.
Traditional Uses & Cultural Heritage
The indigenous Kichwa say guayusa is so captivating that visitors are warned once they drink it, they will always return to the Ecuadorian Jungle. The women say it relieves symptoms of menopause, helps the liver and stomach; soothes and reduces aches and pains and offers balance and strength to pregnant women. Spiritually, elders say guayusa helps dream recall, protects against insect and snake bites, and connects them to the forces of nature. Traditionally, indigenous families woke up at dawn to drink guayusa around their communal fire until sunrise. The elders taught the youth about ancestral myths, hunting techniques, and social values. Shamans interpreted dreams from the previous night. Guayusa induces lucid dreaming and is known as the "watchman's plant," since even when sleeping you are aware of your surroundings. Guayusa was used to sharpen senses and keep hunters awake during hunting trips. The guayusa ritual continues to be a cornerstone of in some parts of Kichwa culture, bringing family and community together around the simple experience of drinking tea. Sustainability An understory tree of the Amazon rainforest, Guayusa needs a diverse ecological habitat to grow. Its cultivation creates economic incentives for farmers to maintain the rainforest. The market created by sellers and drinkers requires farmers to actively reforest degraded lands in the Amazon. Buying guayusa at fair trade prices promotes organic agro-forestry as an alternative and more sustainable agricultural practice to slash and burn agriculture and deforestation.
Samples available by request email us at [email protected]
*These statements are not evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.