It takes one of our master carvers approximately 250 man hours to carve the story of Rama & Sita over the entire bowl and base. The detail is absolutely breathtaking. This drum will turn heads and leave 'em talking. Carved from a solid piece of #1 quality premium mahogany logwood. Drumheads on this Rama Sita djembe are also premium quality with goat hair around the rim that provides greater tonal range.
- Dimensions: 15" Playing Surface, 17" Head Ring to Ring, 25.5" Tall
- Weight: 19 lb
- Rope: Low Stretch Alpine Nylon HTB 5 mm rope, 35 sets of rope runners with a 3 ring system at the head for more stable tuning and elimination of skin slippage.
Rama & Sita is a story about Prince Rama, the great warrior, who was married to the beautiful Sita.
Prince Rama meant to take over the throne from his father the king, but his wicked stepmother had tricked his father into sending him away into the forest. With him went his faithful wife, Sita where they lived a simple, peaceful life in a small cottage.
One day, Sita was spotted by a demon king, named Ravana. When Ravana saw the beautiful Sita, he immediately came up with a plan to kidnap her and make her his wife by tempting her with a beautiful deer in the forest.
When she saw the deer, she asked Rama to catch it for her. As soon as Rama left for his quest to capture the deer, Ravana swooped down and swept Sita up into his chariot pulled by winged monsters. Despite her terror Sita thought quickly and scattered her jewelry piece by piece as a trail for Rama to follow.
Rama seached the world for Sita following her trail of jewelry. She was discovered on a private island refusing to marry Ravana.
Rama led a long and terrible war fighting evil demons to rescue his wife. At the very end, Rama used a special bow and arrow that had been made by the sky god where wind and fire guided the arrow to pierce Ravana's chest in a blinding flash. Ravana fell dead in an instant.
All the world rejoiced. The reign of the demons was over and Rama and Sita returned to their own country to rule. In every home, an oil lamp was put in the window to welcome back the Rama and Sita and their great army. The royal ruled happily for many years until it was time for them to leave their life on earth and return to heaven.
For Hindus, this story shows how good will always triumph over evil in the same way as a little oil lamp will destroy total darkness.
- Legally Harvested, Environmentally Sustainable Mahogany wood
- One-piece Mahogany solid shell construction
- Government Certification Process
- 25.5" Tall, 19lb.
- Low Stretch Alpine Nylon HTB 5 mm, 35 rope runners
- Natural, unbleached heads for authentic look and sound.
- 3 ring system at the head for more stable tuning and elimination of skin slippage
- Lathe turned for uniform thickness
- Lateral groove/rough surfaced carvings on interior bowl to reduce overtones
- Premium selected goatskin drumheads
- Temperature controlled storage environment
- Shells are kiln dried with up to 20 coats of teak oil to protect and preserve the wood.
|Custom Stock Status||N/A|
Working closely with our overseas partners, we are importing the finest selection of beautifully handcrafted African djembe drums and accessories. The selection of djembes are diverse enough to appease beginners through professionals and everyone in between. With gorgeous designs and professional build quality, the X8 djembe collection of African drums are truly handmade works of art created by master carvers using only top-tier materials including: sustainably harvested and Government inspected Mahogany wood, premium goatskin heads, and low stretch alpine 5mm braided rope.
"We're most proud of the fact that our djembes are made from legally harvested and Government inspected timber," remarked co-founder Mark Stancato. "We spent a lot of time searching for the right overseas partners that met are stringent requirements of using only legally harvested, certified timber and could prove a Government certification process," added Stancato. "It's extremely important that today's up and coming companies strive to be as eco-friendly as possible.
View other products from X8 Drums